Traditional Irish Soda Bread - ideal for dunking in homemade soups and stews.
1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1⁄2 cup rolled oats
1⁄4 cup wheat germ
1 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
1 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- Combine flours, oats, wheat germ, dip mix, salt and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until a coarse meal results.
- Add buttermilk, stir quickly and turn out onto a floured surface. Knead gently and form into a loaf. Place on Sheet Pan lined with Sheet Pan Liner.
- Dust with a little whole-wheat flour and cut a shallow X into the centre. Bake for 30 minutes.